Positions held by Derek:
- MSP for Renfrewshire North and West
- Minister for Local Government and Planning
- SNP Business Convener (Chairman of the Party)
Previous positions held by Derek:
- Leader of Renfrewshire Council
- Leader of the SNP at Cosla
- Chair, Renfrewshire Community Health Partnership
- Non-Executive Director of GG&C Health Board
- Chair of Paisley Vision Board
- Chair of Renfrewshire Fairtrade Forum
- Convener of the SNP National Appeals Committee
- Elected May 1999 - Renfrewshire Blythswood Ward
- Re-elected May 2003 - Renfrewshire Blythswood Ward
- Elected May 2007- Renfrew North (Renfrewshire Ward 1)
- Elected May 2011 - MSP for Renfrewshire North and West
Elected an MSP in May 2011 representing Renfrewshire North & West, Derek was appointed Minister for Local Government and Planning in December 2011, having served on the Finance Committee of the Scottish Parliament and as PLO (Political Liaison Officer) to the Cabinet Secretary for Parliamentary Business & Government Strategy.
Following his election as an MSP, he became SNP Business Convener (Chairman of the Party), responsible for chairing Conference, the National Executive and the management and administration of the party.
Elected to Renfrewshire Council in 1999 at the age of 21 he was the youngest male Councillor in Scotland at the time. He won three successive ward elections, to become Leader of Renfrewshire Council in May 2007, taking the SNP from opposition to lead the administration for the first time. He became a national figure in local government leading the SNP group at COSLA (Convention of Scottish Local Authorities) 2009-2011.
Prior to his election as a Councillor Derek was an active community Councillor and Vice Chair of a crime prevention panel.
As Chair of Renfrewshire's Fairtrade Steering Group Chair, Derek was responsible for leading the county to Fairtrade zone status with an 'outstanding achievement' award.
Derek was educated in Kirklandneuk Primary School and Renfrew High School. He has a young family and continues to live in the constituency he represents.