Positions held by Derek:
- MSP for Renfrewshire North and West
- Convenor of the SNP National Appeals Committee
- Chair of Paisley Vision Board
Positions recently held by Derek:
- Leader of Renfrewshire Council
- Leader of the SNP at Cosla
- Chair, Renfrewshire Community Health Partnership
- Non-Executive Director of GG&C Health Board
- Elected May 1999 - Renfrewshire Blythswood Ward
- Re-elected May 2003 - Renfrewshire Blythswood Ward
- Elected May 2007- Renfrew North (Renfrewshire Ward 1)
- Elected May 2011 - MSP for Renfrewshire North and West
Running, music, reading, swimming. Fairtrade, Culture and history
Derek lives in Renfrew, in the constituency with his wife and children. He was educated in Kirklandneuk Primary School and Renfrew High School. He has previously served as a Parliamentary assistant, and has been a Councillor since 1999.
Prior to his election as a Councillor Derek was an active community Councillor and Vice Chair of a crime prevention panel.
Amongst his other current roles he has served as Renfrewshire's Fairtrade Steering Group Chair, leading the county to Fairtrade zone status with an 'outstanding achievement' award.